Author Topic: Premium Fuel vs. Regular Fuel: The Debate!  (Read 20953 times)

Offline Mike07ISS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Helper
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Premium Fuel vs. Regular Fuel: The Debate!
« Reply #50 on: Jul 29, 2012, 07:46 PM »
I know that I should actually do the math and I have on previous vehicles before. I just can't remember the formula for converting miles to kms and litres to gallons. Any ideas?

Offline SidewaysLS4

• Journeyman
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 20
Premium Fuel vs. Regular Fuel: The Debate!
« Reply #51 on: Jul 29, 2012, 11:39 PM »
Google.

Sent from my Pager using Morse code...

Offline MorePower

• Floor Sweeper
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #52 on: Dec 12, 2012, 04:55 PM »
I only run 91 without ethanol. I took two trips down to Utah from North Dakota one in 2011 and 2012 both in the summer. 2011 trip was the wife and I ran 80 most of the time and got 25.6 for the whole trip. One area I ran 110 mph for about 35 miles was in Montana and I got just under 24mpg this was in my 07MCSS.  2012 trip 5 people in my 96 ImpalaSS and ran 87 and got 23mpg mostly didn't keep all slips for gas for a more accurate reading. I also have made many trips to Minneapolis which I run 75 to 80mph in my 2007 Monte Carlo SS and get 25mpg because of to much ethanol in the gas down that way. You will get atleast 2to3 more mpg with premium this will more then make up the saving from running regular gas.

Offline 1sickGXP

• Apprentice
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #53 on: Dec 12, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Dont quote me but I work at a chevron station and the owner told me that the difference between 87 and 91 is they add there tecron blend powder into the gas and 89 is just a blend of the 91 and the 87 not sure if it is true or not. And another thing that the fuel truck driver said to me was (in cali) that they haul for a lot of stations one being the cheapest gas around price and quality. And when they fill they will often mix the gasses from the two companies. So I don't believe that there is that much difference but I still run 91 it ain't much more than 87.better to be safe then sorry

Sent from space using telekinesis
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2012, 08:11 PM by 1sickGXP »
love my gxp(besiddes the f**king transmission)

Offline 06mistreSS

• Helper
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #54 on: Mar 02, 2013, 01:14 PM »
I have run regular 87 octane in mine in the past but I now run premium 93 octane. I notice a small improvement in performance but fuel mileage is the same, although I am running a high performance air intake and exhaust system so the engine is pulling more air which means the system wants to throw more gas into the engine to keep the air/fuel ratio the same.
Matt
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS • 2013 Chevrolet Malibu 2LTZ
Michigan Monte Carlo Club • http://mimontecarloclub.wixsite.com/mmcc

Offline NorCal_GXP88

• Helper
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #55 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:59 PM »
My old lady started pumping 87 at the pump, an got about 1/2 a gallon in my GXP before I noticed. the take was damn near empty.... should i just limp it around an burn the fuel out?
06 GXP, CAI, Magnaflows

Offline RON07GXP

• Apprentice
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #56 on: Feb 07, 2014, 02:38 PM »
This is an old thread to DEBATE REGULAR VS PREMIUM FUEL....If you do a little digging you'll find members who have had the same issue.

Only 1/2 gallon of regular is not going to make any difference. Just remember to fill up with premium only in the future or you'll have a lot of KR.
2007 Grand Prix GXP / 2008 Impala SS

Offline LS4 Racing

• Administrator
  • Master Tech
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 71
  • -Receive: 47
  • Expertises:
  • Transmission
  • LSx mods
« Reply #57 on: Feb 07, 2014, 02:41 PM »
My old lady started pumping 87 at the pump, an got about 1/2 a gallon in my GXP before I noticed. the take was damn near empty.... should i just limp it around an burn the fuel out?

Just fill it up with premium.  It will dilute the 87 and you shouldn't have any problems.  A 1/2 gallon is basically nothing, anyway.
Follow me on Twitter by clicking here!
2006 Impala SS; 275 FWHP; DiabLew Tune|Big Ass Tranny Cooler|TEP valvebody|low-stall converter|TransGo Shift Kit|CAI|catless dp|3" catback w/Spintech mufflers|CSP Catch-Can|Morimoto HID projectors|Custom Brake Cooling Ducts|Rigid 30" LED Light bar|Optima Red Top|NGK TR6ix Plugs
2002 Camaro Z28 (M6) (Click for Info!); 486 RWHP/417 RWTQ|LQ4 block|LS3 heads/intake|Comp LSr 273 Camshaft|Hooker LT Headers|true-dual exhaust|LS7 clutch|HIDs & LEDs
2012 Chevrolet Volt

Offline X Move (Tricky)

• Tuning Enthusiast/Cartoonist
  • Apprentice
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
  • SCCA Solo #71 SMF
« Reply #58 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Lucas Injector Cleaner should help too. It has made several of my vehicles run much smoother.

It's certainly no sin if one must use 87. I was broke for a while so 87 is better than nothing. Some people are able to run 87 fine with no issues, but I am assuming they aren't really driven hard (no offense intended).
I'm not a mechanic, but there was definite lag while running on 87. I am assuming this is the ignition timing being retarded to prevent damage.

Eventually I made the switch to 93 octane. Although there will be no significant change in how the car drives, this is recommended by not just the manufacturer, but repair manuals as well. It took several weeks to for the system to really flush. Once it was fully running on 93, mileage was roughly the same however the acceleration lag was lessened and it idled smoother. This was while I was still running a stock ECU tune. It was almost like regaining lost power.

My advice is If you want to use your LS4 to its full potential use at least 93 octane.
If you constantly bash FF platforms, but belong to a FF forum, you are an #$$####.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
2005 Chevy Impala LS4--W-Body Autox Development (PROJECT K)
Hayden aux cooler, Bilsteins, Yokohamas, chassis reinforcement, weight reduction, personal InTune, GP seats, Alpine/Kenwood audio. More mods in the works

Offline LS4 Racing

• Administrator
  • Master Tech
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 71
  • -Receive: 47
  • Expertises:
  • Transmission
  • LSx mods
« Reply #59 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:47 PM »
Lucas Injector Cleaner should help too. It has made several of my vehicles run much smoother.

It's certainly no sin if one must use 87. I was broke for a while so 87 is better than nothing. Some people are able to run 87 fine with no issues, but I am assuming they aren't really driven hard (no offense intended).
I'm not a mechanic, but there was definite lag while running on 87. I am assuming this is the ignition timing being retarded to prevent damage.

Eventually I made the switch to 93 octane. Although there will be no significant change in how the car drives, this is recommended by not just the manufacturer, but repair manuals as well. It took several weeks to for the system to really flush. Once it was fully running on 93, mileage was roughly the same however the acceleration lag was lessened and it idled smoother. This was while I was still running a stock ECU tune. It was almost like regaining lost power.

My advice is If you want to use your LS4 to its full potential use at least 93 octane.

While I totally understand the need to pinch pennies in dire financial situations, the difference of $3.50 per fill-up between 87 and 91 is probably small enough to justify the benefit for most LS4 owners.  Of course, if that 3 bucks is the difference between feeding your family or not, then it's a no-brainer.

While the PCM will learn driving situations and conditions, it will only adapt so much to 87 octane fuel.  Having experimented with different fuels and tunes, along with constant monitoring of knock retard, I can tell you that 87 octane on a stock tune results in near-constant knock retard in virtually all RPM ranges.  Even with an 87-friendly tune, you'll still see 4+ degrees of KR all of the time.  Once could argue that the PCM is doing its job, but the reality is, there's still pre-ignition going on the in the engine, which is bad for head gaskets, piston rings, and even bearings.  And since timing is being pulled back, it has a negative effect on fuel economy, too.

The worst part is, even 91 octane is going to show a lot of KR on a stock tune, just not as much as 87.  And this is why I believe that every LS4 should have a decent tune, if only for the longevity of the engine.
Follow me on Twitter by clicking here!
2006 Impala SS; 275 FWHP; DiabLew Tune|Big Ass Tranny Cooler|TEP valvebody|low-stall converter|TransGo Shift Kit|CAI|catless dp|3" catback w/Spintech mufflers|CSP Catch-Can|Morimoto HID projectors|Custom Brake Cooling Ducts|Rigid 30" LED Light bar|Optima Red Top|NGK TR6ix Plugs
2002 Camaro Z28 (M6) (Click for Info!); 486 RWHP/417 RWTQ|LQ4 block|LS3 heads/intake|Comp LSr 273 Camshaft|Hooker LT Headers|true-dual exhaust|LS7 clutch|HIDs & LEDs
2012 Chevrolet Volt

Offline REDZONE

• Apprentice
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #60 on: Jun 28, 2015, 05:39 PM »
What's the story with Shells new Nitro+ VPower?

I went to a shell station recently and filled up with Vpower and saw a sign that said nitro+ is new but my pump said Vpower...

Is all vpower now nitro+ or is it coming and going to be replacing vpower and they just have to change the stickers...

2008 GXP WA503Q - 69MM Intercooled Turbo | Water/Methanol Injection | DOD delete w/ LS9 (ZR1) CAM (Install Courtesy of Champion Motors) | Cartuning Built Trans + Turbo Install | Cartuning Live Tune(Professional Service courtesy of Kevin@cartuning) | 275/40 Pilot Super Sport Front and 235/45 Ventus V12 Rear | CMS 2.5"/1.7" Lowered | Don Rome Strut Braces | New FR/RR Bilstein HD w/ Pogo | ALL Moog Problem Solver links, bushings, joints w/Zerk Fit Parts | 34mm Front Sway Bar | Hayden Trans Cooler | Shorter Poly Dogbone | Penzoil Platinum Ultra | Torque Pro Gauges | Best Dyno = 672 HP on 94 Pump Octane

Offline My325

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Helper
  • Thank You
Re: Re: Premium Fuel vs. Regular Fuel: The Debate!
« Reply #61 on: Aug 08, 2015, 08:21 PM »

While I totally understand the need to pinch pennies in dire financial situations, the difference of $3.50 per fill-up between 87 and 91 is probably small enough to justify the benefit for most LS4 owners.  Of course, if that 3 bucks is the difference between feeding your family or not, then it's a no-brainer.

While the PCM will learn driving situations and conditions, it will only adapt so much to 87 octane fuel.  Having experimented with different fuels and tunes, along with constant monitoring of knock retard, I can tell you that 87 octane on a stock tune results in near-constant knock retard in virtually all RPM ranges.  Even with an 87-friendly tune, you'll still see 4+ degrees of KR all of the time.  Once could argue that the PCM is doing its job, but the reality is, there's still pre-ignition going on the in the engine, which is bad for head gaskets, piston rings, and even bearings.  And since timing is being pulled back, it has a negative effect on fuel economy, too.

The worst part is, even 91 octane is going to show a lot of KR on a stock tune, just not as much as 87.  And this is why I believe that every LS4 should have a decent tune, if only for the longevity of the engine.

If the ECM is retarding timing more than 50% of the time on the 87 & 89 octane fuels you need more octane...

From orbit on my Android.