Author Topic: Burning Oil... GM Bulletin....  (Read 37499 times)

Offline wesfree

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Helper
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Burning Oil... GM Bulletin....
« Reply #50 on: Dec 20, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Ok...I've had my '07 GXP since 12/2006.  I have 251k miles on her and she just started burning oil excessively at about 225/230k.  I love my car and can't afford to get a new one.  I want to fix this issue and short of replacing the engine, I haven't found any definitive answers on what parts my mechanic will specifically need.  Can anyone provide me the specific part names and/or #'s so that I can make arrangements to get them and schedule time w/my mechanic to fix this?  I would appreciate any and all help...Thanks....
How much oil is it burning in between changes?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Offline wse8fan

• Floor Sweeper
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #51 on: Dec 29, 2015, 08:46 AM »
I'm burning about 1qt every 500-700 miles...I'm sure it's the pvc valve and I'm trying to confirm that I've found the right part number on gmpartsonline.com

Offline wesfree

• Helper
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
Burning Oil... GM Bulletin....
« Reply #52 on: Dec 30, 2015, 05:46 PM »
There is no pcv there are just baffles in the valve covers. You can hook up a catch can but you'll just be catching it and not burning it. Also is your dod/AFM still active? My car with only 120k used about a quart and a half in 5k miles. After tuning out dod it only uses about a half quart now. But if your burning that much I would say rebuild time with the amount of miles you have on it.

Offline My325

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #53 on: Jan 02, 2016, 04:54 PM »
There is no pcv there are just baffles in the valve covers. You can hook up a catch can but you'll just be catching it and not burning it. Also is your dod/AFM still active? My car with only 120k used about a quart and a half in 5k miles. After tuning out dod it only uses about a half quart now. But if your burning that much I would say rebuild time with the amount of miles you have on it.

Depends on how you implement the catch can.  Put a 12 volt solenoid valve on the drain that dumps right back into the crankcase when you turn the ignition off.

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

Offline wse8fan

• Floor Sweeper
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: Mar 08, 2016, 07:10 PM »
For those looking for replacement parts, I've had quite a bit of success with gmpartsoutlet.net .  Not only was I able to find the valve covers (Left is rear and Right is front on the LS4, per my local dealer who was kind enough to provide me the GM Part #'s), but the cost was substantially lower than what I could find anywhere else.  Although I'm likely to have to get a new engine after it's all done, the only things I'm replacing are things that I would need to swap to the new block anyway.  Now that I've replaced the rear valve cover, I noticed that my consumption improved slightly, thus the reason I'm going to replace the other cover...Also, I'm going to replace my DOD/AFM Filter and pressure sensor as the P0521 code has now tripped my service engine light twice in the last week.  As soon as my filter and sensor are delivered, along with the 2nd valve cover, I'm implementing those changes.  My mechanic is on stand-by to complete the work asap.  If the maintenance works, I'll post an update....either way, just now replacing parts like this with over 250k miles, I'm not doing too bad...BTW, when my fuel sending unit went up, it did cause a drain on my battery as it wasn't shutting off properly.  If you notice that your fuel gauge starts bouncing around, replace the fuel pump.  I did that and the dead battery issue went away....

Offline Iwannarace

• Floor Sweeper
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #55 on: Mar 23, 2016, 05:58 PM »
Good evening everyone.  With this thread being pinned, I assume that means it is the best thread in the forum for a reader to get information over the oil burning phenomenon which plagues the LS4. 

However, I've read this thread up and down and am still hungry for more...

The original post was made in 2011 with a follow on GM Bulletin provided in 2012; but ultimately, the fix I read about is replacing pistons, rings, gaskets and oil pan. 

Yikes!

For those of you "Master Techs", is there anything else out there that addresses this issue without what would seem to be a crippling mechanic's bill?

For background, I own a 2006 Impala with just short of 173,000 miles.  I bought the car about 4 years ago with 41,000 miles on it.  At the time of purchase there was NO oil consumption issues to deal with.  As the years and miles have ticked by the oil consumption has progressively become more noticeable to now being of concern.  December of 2014 the engine started misfiring.  My mechanic suggested all spark plugs and wiring be replaced.  Which I approved.  Last week (35k miles later) the engine started misfiring again.  Cylinder #4 spark plug was oil fouled.  Now replaced and the car is running well again (although my mechanic indicated that engine compression was on the low side of yet okay).   

My concern now...can I do something to protect my car (and wallet) to not see the oil consumption continue its progressive downward spiral?  Or should I be making plans to move on with another car before it becomes too late?

Some one mentioned disabling DOD/AFM, but another poster said they did that with no attributable effect.  Has disabling DOD been successful for most others, or have most observed no effect? 

Any additional information you fine folks can send my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
-Neil

-------------
2006 Impala SS
1956 Bel-Air 2dr Post

Offline LeadfootCJ7

• Helper
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #56 on: Mar 24, 2016, 07:20 AM »
I have done some reading with regards to other engines.  People have had good success with BG services that clean the rings and such.  My GXP doesn't burn any oil, but I would certainly consider trying that before digging deep into the engine.