Author Topic: electrical malfunction  (Read 413 times)

Offline Monster762

• Monster762
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Helper
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
electrical malfunction
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:20 AM »
I have 2006 impala ss. 160xxx miles. Recently while driving the car lost all electrical. Lights flashed alarms went off dash went black completely. Radio everything and popped both low beams melting connectors. Then a few days later running high beam it did exact same. Popped both highs. Trac control lights up when it happens too. Codes c0035 c0040 c0090 p0521 p0556 p0563 p1629. All from this incident. Battery good alt good (maybe regulator) anyone ever experience similar and can help appreciated. Fuses all good too and car never even during the short or whatever never lost power or drove different just no light anywhere. All wiring seems good. Speed sensor harness on right was replaced. Thanks for any help.
06 impala ss  factory bose rear deck jbl doors with sundown audio sub,3cubic ft band pass alpine amp, 20% tint , a lot of suspension redone with Moog,kyb struts ,drilled slotted rotors,carbon pads,black headlights,rebuilt trans, backyard intake w/K&N filter,3 in exhaust all the way back. Dod delete(software not hardware). P zero tires factory rims

Offline LeadfootCJ7

• Helper
  • Thank You
Re: electrical malfunction
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:44 AM »
It sounds like a loose/bad connection somewhere to do all of that.  Have you checked the battery cable connection at the battery, power distribution/relay center, and starter?  Also check the cable for wear that might cause it to short out.  This can also happen with the power wire from the alternator to power distribution. 

Also check the ground cable connections and grounds through the car (under the dash as well).  Any of these being loose or corroded can cause issues. 

Based on melting connectors it makes me think a short in the power wire somewhere.  Possibly even the wires to the headlights, but the headlight fuse should have popped before letting things get too hot.  Are there any burned or melted spots near the headlight fuses or relays?

Offline Monster762

• Monster762
  • Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:33 AM »
No burning near fuses. Fuses good. Just the plastic connector the bulb connects to. I will check all main wiring again. All looked good n tight but 2nd look cant hurt. I know the speed sensor wire is tapped on the control arm and maybe flex breaking contact or rain effecting. It was wet both days. Is it possible that a loose connect down there would effect thins like headlights dashlights?  Bcm? Or connection there maybe?  Ill check wiring. Thanks.
06 impala ss  factory bose rear deck jbl doors with sundown audio sub,3cubic ft band pass alpine amp, 20% tint , a lot of suspension redone with Moog,kyb struts ,drilled slotted rotors,carbon pads,black headlights,rebuilt trans, backyard intake w/K&N filter,3 in exhaust all the way back. Dod delete(software not hardware). P zero tires factory rims

Offline Monster762

• Monster762
  • Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2017, 03:27 AM »
Ok i checked wiring. Everything is tight. Even checked in airbox the computers but there is no ground there unless its all in the harness cause plastic air box just lays on top metal but no contact from any electrical there and design doesnt allow for a ground there. Not to body anyway. Like i said has to be internal. Long story short still having the issue. I am going to check speed sensor wire but i dont see how something so low on the supply chain could make main power go out but im not by any means electrician. Still searching. This is where all those stupid sensors prove to be more a problem than a help to cars.

Offline Monster762

• Monster762
  • Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2017, 06:15 AM »
Update. I replaced speed sensor wire along control arm. I ran good 14 guage wire and made sure where i cut into harness was tightened n sealed good. So far (2days) no intermittent electrical issue. Also doesnt pulse when braking actually feels smoother. Probably placebo effect but time will tell. It was replaced before but spliced in right on the control arm and connection wasnt really tight. I pulled apart with hand.

Offline Monster762

• Monster762
  • Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2017, 04:01 PM »
Its back. Starts when engine is hot.

Offline LeadfootCJ7

• Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:16 AM »
Pop the headlight bulbs again?

Offline Monster762

• Monster762
  • Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2017, 01:56 PM »
I replaced power steering pump (it was misaligned and wobbly) and alternator put new belt on and new pos and neg cables it seems to be good but just did this last night. Its not whining and no bells when its hot so far. I havent driven it long period of time yet. Hopefully it was voltage regulator.

Offline Monster762

• Monster762
  • Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2017, 06:20 AM »
Been good week or so. No fluctuations in lights nothing. Hooked stereo back up and eveything good. I think it was voltage regulator in alternator. But it throws tons of random codes when entire system gets high voltage.

Offline LeadfootCJ7

• Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2017, 07:11 PM »
This sounds like a bad or loose connection.  It could be the alternator, but I hate telling people to just throw parts at something.  How does the wire harness that runs to the relay box on the passenger fenderwell look? 

Offline Monster762

• Monster762
  • Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2017, 02:12 AM »
It was all good almost a month now door locks go crazy and car feels like it tries to go into park while driving. Radio goes out on bumps. Radio not cd. I've never touched wiring behind dash only clockspring in wheel I fixed when I bought car cause horn n wheel controls didn't work. I did run over basketball and the harness to front of subframe was knocked loose. The connection to fuse box tight but I noticed yesterday when cleaning all connections the wire from bat to fuse is very stiff and green inside the casing. And I didn't d not replace positive cable cause it looked good. I do have new cable and will install. Also the wire 2gauge is rated at max for 115 amp at 12 v so how can they use that with 135 amp alternator. The car has so many bs electronics it's already pulling all it can. Without any non factory additions. Any chines Japanese pos out there can have a 2000 watt amp hooked backward and put t will never take the drivability from the car. Idk. This car has been nonstop money. 2yrs and 10000 for car now over 8000 in just parts trying to get it untorchered from previous owner. They bought it drove it to death landed it in lake and I bought with clean car fax to find me out it's been submerged after tearing apart

Offline LeadfootCJ7

• Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2017, 12:56 PM »
The cable is corroded (that is the green inside) and needs to be replaced.  That may only be part of the issue, but def needs to be taken care of.

Offline Monster762

• Monster762
  • Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 06:08 PM »
I did replace the cable from bat to fuse box with a 0 gauge copper wire. It's been a while now no problems. Alternator also was bad. Regulator actually. Sitting still if I brought rpm to 2000 it was holding over 18 volts steady on my scanner. It dropped only if I let off gas. So every time I drove over 2000 rpm it was surging the whole system. Seemed to only do it when at operating temp never before it got warm. Crazy but fixed now. Now back to the all new front suspension that's failing in less than 20000 miles. All moog n Kyb all done by me so I know it was right. But I'm getting what sounds like locusts when slowing to a red light and creaking on accel tires feel flat when turning either direction with 36 lbs in them. Idk. I posted it looking for input. Thanks for all input. Every little bit does help.

Offline LeadfootCJ7

• Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 12:42 PM »
18V is high.  I can see why that could cause an issue.  Glad its fixed.