Author Topic: Tick, rough idle, sputters and dies.  (Read 223 times)

Offline pontiecast

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Floor Sweeper
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Tick, rough idle, sputters and dies.
« on: Sep 04, 2016, 02:14 PM »
New to the board, been watching for a while. Just yesterday, while idling in park, the engine started lugging, sputtered and stalled. It has done this a few times now hot or cold. History on the car.... Purchased a rust free '08 GXP (rust free pretty uncommon for Western PA) in June w/ 118,xxx miles. Now 123xxx. So far, I've replaced the crank pulley, both front wheel bearings, front pads / rotors, front sway bar end links, air filter, spark plugs and battery, not in that order. Car has been running fine, and getting 19.4 mpg combined. A few days after the crank pulley install, I noticed a "tick" "tick" noise. I assumed it was an exhaust leak. Figured it happened when the engine was separated from the sub-frame for the crank pulley install. Thinking the exhaust may have moved causing a leak. Anyway, since it was running so good, i decided to start with some performance mods and installed a ZZP down pipe. Figured I would kill 2 birds with one stone. A) performance mod and B) install a part that I though would fix what I assumed to be an exhaust leak.
Well, after the cat install, the "tick" "tick" did not go away. Sure the exhaust sounded better, but the check engine light immediately came on with an O2 code. Cleared it and is came right back. I knew going in the ZZP cat could cause a CEL. My concern is why the rough idle and stalling. Is it possible the car is running too rich and loading up? Has anyone experienced this? Could the "tick" noise be a lifter that is failing?
Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks