Author Topic: Impala SS - fix or swap?  (Read 347 times)

Offline Jonota

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Floor Sweeper
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Impala SS - fix or swap?
« on: May 27, 2016, 09:16 AM »
Hey all!  I recently acquired a 2006 Imp SS for a project.  The car runs/drives, but had a "meeting" with a power pole on the passenger side between the front wheel well and door.  I have several different directions I might go - but the top two are:

1.)  Attempt to fix it.  I don't have pictures I can share at the moment, but the damage is such that the front passenger side door is "twisted" (but still closed/latched!), so the interior is exposed to the outside.  The kick panel is pushed in as well.  The fender/bumper cover/possibly door would be easy to replace, straightening the unibody being the difficult part - but seems "doable". 

2.) Swap.  Same year Impala's seem to abound around me, and a 4 cyl version with a straight body can usually be found in the $1k range.  I have a good idea what a swap would entail, in fact it "seems" like it would be rather simple since the bodies should be the same.  I've done some searching on various sites with very little specifics learned (fuel pump sufficient?, harness plug and play or need spliced/full swapout? years possible for swap? , etc)- just that it "can be done".  I understand there are more than just the Impala that the LS4 is in so that widens the search base for other makes/models. 

Thoughts?  Comments?  Ideas? 
Jon