Author Topic: Coolant leak  (Read 576 times)

Offline wesfree

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Helper
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Coolant leak
« on: Jun 07, 2015, 07:01 PM »
I've got a 06 ss impala that has been leaking a little coolant from the passenger side of the motor. It has been leaking on and off for about a year now. Far as I can tell it is not coming from the water pump its more towards the middle of the engine. I've pulled the intake thinking it was the coolant crossover pipe, that wasn't it. Im thinking its the water pump housing. I've done some searching and cannot find any info on removing it. Can it be done with motor in the car or am I going to have to pull the motor? Anyone had a strange leak like this or ever removed the whole housing from the motor? 

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

bigdman84

Re: Coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2015, 08:02 PM »
First how many miles u  try getting a pressure test. Things I would check is the upper and lower rad hose u may have a pin hole check the reservoir tank make sure there's no Crack and check the level. Check ur rad cap and radiator if u have to add a lil coolant then the rad is on its way happen to me and also the thermostat. If ur coolant level is on half all the time then ur good but it's just a matter of time when the problem less hits u trust me I had my fair share wit my car.

Offline wesfree

• Helper
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
Coolant leak
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2015, 09:47 AM »
140,000 miles on the car the radiator, thermostat, and radiator cap are about a year old. The hoses are all good. I'm pretty sure its the gaskets between the water pump housing and the block. It just looks like it is going to be hard to get apart with the motor in the car. If it will even come out with it in.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

bigdman84

« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2015, 04:50 PM »
I got 143 on my I had to change my water pump cause it was leaking from near the pulley  I took my to a mechanic I don't no if u do ur own work but if u do I think u have to tilt the motor all to get some clearance theses motors are hell to work on but if was u change the water pump  cause u don't want to run into overheating I've been there not good at all

Offline SuperAman

• Floor Sweeper
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2015, 08:24 PM »
What about the Risoline stop leak? anyone use one of those. I myself have a leak as well and am thinking of using one of these to see if it works