Author Topic: Engine Noise on Startup? Replace Your DoD/AFM Oil Filter.  (Read 10315 times)

Offline crzyone1013

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Helper
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Hey guys. Im new to the forum but I have had my 06 ss for three years now and here in the last three weeks it has been consistently having dry starts when its cold. it has just rolled over to 128k on the odo and I have always ran full synthetic mobli 1 through it with bosch distance plus or ac delco filters. I need to find a solution to this problem. I have ran conventional oil in the past but it burns it rather quickly but not so much with full synthetic. mabye switch to a blend?? any ideas or imput??
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2013, 12:58 AM by LS4 Racing »

Offline LS4 Racing

• Administrator
  • Master Tech
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 71
  • -Receive: 47
  • Expertises:
  • Transmission
  • LSx mods
Re: DRY STARTS!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2013, 05:29 PM »
Welcome to the site!

It's not composition of your oil, but it does have a lot to do with the oil viscosity,  filter, outside temps, and engine wear.  Our Impala would have lifter clatter on cold starts when it was only 30k miles old right when we bought it.  This was because the original owner had been using cheap, no-name oil filters, which slowed the time that it would take to get oil pressure to the top of the engine.  On the first oil change, we put M1 in the car with a WIX filter, and the noise on startup went away.

Once in a while when we get down into the 20's, it'll rattle for a few seconds when cold, and we have 187,000 on our motor, and I think that's to be expected (to an extent) with any high-mileage engine.

Are you using 5W-30?  Anything heavier than that will make some noise on start-up, especially in an older engine.  As for the filter, AC Delcos ain't what they used to be, and I've had noise issues with them, too.  You might want to try different ones, like WIX, M1, or Purolator.  We've had great luck with all of those.
Follow me on Twitter by clicking here!
2006 Impala SS; 275 FWHP; DiabLew Tune|Big Ass Tranny Cooler|TEP valvebody|low-stall converter|TransGo Shift Kit|CAI|catless dp|3" catback w/Spintech mufflers|CSP Catch-Can|Morimoto HID projectors|Custom Brake Cooling Ducts|Rigid 30" LED Light bar|Optima Red Top|NGK TR6ix Plugs
2002 Camaro Z28 (M6) (Click for Info!); 486 RWHP/417 RWTQ|LQ4 block|LS3 heads/intake|Comp LSr 273 Camshaft|Hooker LT Headers|true-dual exhaust|LS7 clutch|HIDs & LEDs
2012 Chevrolet Volt

Ill_Born_ss

« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2013, 03:54 AM »
Have you cleaned/ re-placed the last chance filter located under the oil pressure sensor. It will and does restrict the oil flow to the upper end, more so on an older engine.

Offline crzyone1013

• Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2013, 04:40 PM »
last chance filter?? I do have a problem with the car eating oil pressure sensors about once a year and this last one only lasted three months. just changed it the other day. I usually use the mobil 1 5w30 and a bosch distance plus filter. thats what is in it at this moment. I do have what sounds to be one lifter that taps occasionaly but not so often yet. Just trying to jump on top of the problem before it gets bad.

Ill_Born_ss

« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2013, 04:47 PM »
Yes there is a small filter located just under the oil pressure sensor. I use a small hooked awl to pull it up and out, then I spray it with some carb cleaner or gasoline. I also use an old syringe to syphon out some of the oil in the passage in case there is any foreign material there. You can get a new one at your dealer for under 10 bucks.

To help control contamination within the DoD hydraulic system, a small replaceable oil filter (4) is located in the manifold oil inlet passage, located under the oil pressure sensor (3)

Specs for torque and such located here:
27mm deep socket required.
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2013, 08:12 AM by Ill_Born_ss »

Offline LS4 Racing

• Administrator
  • Master Tech
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 71
  • -Receive: 47
  • Expertises:
  • Transmission
  • LSx mods
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2013, 09:03 PM »
I had no idea this even existed.

I'd like to make a sticky of this for the site.  Do you have any pics for a "how-to" on this task? 
Follow me on Twitter by clicking here!
2006 Impala SS; 275 FWHP; DiabLew Tune|Big Ass Tranny Cooler|TEP valvebody|low-stall converter|TransGo Shift Kit|CAI|catless dp|3" catback w/Spintech mufflers|CSP Catch-Can|Morimoto HID projectors|Custom Brake Cooling Ducts|Rigid 30" LED Light bar|Optima Red Top|NGK TR6ix Plugs
2002 Camaro Z28 (M6) (Click for Info!); 486 RWHP/417 RWTQ|LQ4 block|LS3 heads/intake|Comp LSr 273 Camshaft|Hooker LT Headers|true-dual exhaust|LS7 clutch|HIDs & LEDs
2012 Chevrolet Volt

Ill_Born_ss

« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2013, 03:05 AM »
Made an edit above with more info.

Offline crzyone1013

• Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2013, 05:31 PM »
guess ill be going in and replacing that then. also noticed a lifter has started to tick slightly on warm days so Ill have to figure out something there. I talked to my mechanic and he said to go back to conventional oil and not to use additives like lucas. I have always ran mobil 1 and just recently picked up some of the lucas full synthetic oil stabilizer to add to it. found out after that the 5.3 lifters are bad about clogging up with additives like that so guess that was a wasted 18 bucks. just have to use it in my benz instead since it has the same oil in it.

Offline Sadden

• LS4 Lighting Guru
  • Junior Tech
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2013, 07:37 PM »
Lifter tick happens in Ls engines. You should hear my gxp when its -40 out

Diablosprt Trinity , No DOD , Transgo SK , LED's , Optima RedTop , K&N Intake W/ Volant Filter , NGK TR6IX , MSD 8.5mm Wires , Raybestos Pads , Sound by MTX Audio , Custom Projector Retro , 3k fogs , 20" Rigid industries LED Driving light

Offline REDZONE

• Apprentice
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Engine Noise on Startup? Replace Your DoD/AFM Oil Filter.
« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2013, 10:00 AM »

2008 GXP WA503Q - 69MM Intercooled Turbo | Water/Methanol Injection | DOD delete w/ LS9 (ZR1) CAM (Install Courtesy of Champion Motors) | Cartuning Built Trans + Turbo Install | Cartuning Live Tune(Professional Service courtesy of Kevin@cartuning) | 275/40 Pilot Super Sport Front and 235/45 Ventus V12 Rear | CMS 2.5"/1.7" Lowered | Don Rome Strut Braces | New FR/RR Bilstein HD w/ Pogo | ALL Moog Problem Solver links, bushings, joints w/Zerk Fit Parts | 34mm Front Sway Bar | Hayden Trans Cooler | Shorter Poly Dogbone | Penzoil Platinum Ultra | Torque Pro Gauges | Best Dyno = 672 HP on 94 Pump Octane

Offline SGT Dinnon

• Helper
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: Aug 30, 2013, 11:50 AM »

Where can we buy one of these at? Will any local parts shop have them in stock, or is it a item that has to be ordered online? I just ran into this problem here recently.
This aint your average Impala!
SuperChips Vivid Linq, Flowmaster Super 44's, Transgo S/k, Resonator Delete, 6K Beams, K&N CAI, Blacked Out Bowties

Offline 91parkave

• Administrator
  • Apprentice
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2013, 05:08 PM »

Where can we buy one of these at? Will any local parts shop have them in stock, or is it a item that has to be ordered online? I just ran into this problem here recently.
You don't need to buy one. If you wana do the job correctly the first time check my video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNhMnU1oy8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
06 GXP | 4' fwi/LS7 MAF|LS2 IM/ LS2 TB | DT headers 3' Exhaust no cat |Shift kit| LC-1 WB |Bilstein Coilovers | ZZP LCA | GMPP SWB | CustomFull Poly lower engine/trans mounts| MSD wires | E-85 | Billet dogbone| HP Tuned by me | Battery Relocate | HID | Custom grilles| List goes on..

Offline 1MileCrash

• Helper
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2014, 04:08 PM »
Just want to put a little bit of feedback and info in here since this will be one of the first places people will/should look.

History...

I was driving down the interstate and my car dropped out of overdrive at 70mph.  Nothing seemed wrong at the time, but I noticed that it was no longer going into 4cyl mode.

The next day worse symptoms began.  The car randomly began kicking on the red oil logo light and flashing "low oil pressure stop engine" on the DIC.  At the same time the check engine light came on with a P0521 code.  I checked the oil level and it was about 3/4 of a quart low so I topped it off hoping that it would help; it did not.

Also.  For quite some time the car had been a little noisy on start-up.  Well this got noticeably worse...sounded like noisy valves/collapsed lifter/piston slap.  But once the car was warmed up it was fine.

The car also did not shift into 3rd gear or overdrive easily.  It hesitated for a long time before it would finally go up a gear.

I was concerned that all of these symptoms were pointing to a failing oil pump.  I went out and got the DoD filter and a new oil pressure switch since both were cheap and considerably easier to replace than a pump.  I also began having doubts that it was the pump because the car would shift a bit better and the low oil pressure message did not come on as often once the car was warmed up which led me to believe that it was an electrical issue rather than a pump issue.

I installed both components and IMMEDIATELY things improved.  The car shifted when it should, it no longer makes noise on start-up, and it goes into 4cyl mode (not that I'm excited about that it sounds like crap).

Now I also want to mention that the parts guy at the dealership said that every time they replace an oil pressure switch and the vehicle has a DoD screen/filter they replace it with the switch.  Something to keep in mind.

Offline 1MileCrash

• Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2014, 04:09 PM »
One question I didn't want to include in my story there.  Anyone have any idea what would happen if the DoD filter was removed from the system?

Ill_Born_ss

« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:32 AM »
One question I didn't want to include in my story there.  Anyone have any idea what would happen if the DoD filter was removed from the system?
Well to understand the system a little, your oil sits in the base pan and is picked up thru the pump an passed thru the filter and onto the lower rotating group first (priority oiling) then it makes way to the upper end of the engine. Oil is to catch pickup and carry all sorts of contaminants in order to keep your engine clean, cooled and lubricated. Sometimes this contamination is not caught by the oil filter or the oil filter bypass has opened (whether briefly or fully in bypass mode) you the owner really have no idea this has happened, though it is rare but the idea is priority oiling no matter what. So they put a screen filter in the most vulnerable part (small particles causing big damage) of the system. Now this is not the only screen type filter but it is placed just prior to the OPS so if it catches the debris first it will restrict the oil pressure to the upper end and warn the owner there is a problem.
If you were to remove/discard this filter there are other similar filters/screens located in the DOD/AFM manifold that will catch the debris/contaminants for you but then the restriction/ clogging will happen further into you engines components making for a harder and more expensive diagnostic of where exactly the problem is.
As you experienced first hand the symptoms of just the first warning of the system, can you imagine if only 1 or 2 of your lifters were not to respond or respond intermittently. Also the havoc it can have on your torque converter lock/ unlock mode. Simply put destroying it and your transmission.

Offline 1MileCrash

• Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:20 PM »
now i've never had to replace the oil pressure sensor on my Z28...does the LS1 have this same little filter under the sensor?  do all engines now have these filters?  cause i had never heard of this little bugger before i bought this car.

Ill_Born_ss

« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:39 PM »
No the LS1 does not have it. It is in all DOD/AFM engines, even in the ones equipped with the system but never turned on from the factory, yes there are engines out there with everything in place just not activated.

Offline 1MileCrash

• Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:49 PM »
interesting.  well that's the next thing on my to-do list...disable that crap system.

Offline LazerBlue07SS

• Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2014, 07:27 PM »
interesting.  well that's the next thing on my to-do list...disable that crap system.

Even if you were to disable or turn/tune the DOD off, you'll still have the oil working it's way into the upper part of the engine, and into tbe DOD/AFM part of the upper end. Therefor, you're still gonna have to keep the screen in and cleaned to keep the P0521 (and in some cases, a P0523 code as well...) from coming on and being set by the ECM.

I'm glad I found this thread, and started reading into this issue... My '07 SS threw the codes on Friday morning, and I've already nought the new sensor, the socket and everything to do the job. I now also know to buy a new filter for the next time I need to change it out. I'm going to try and clean out that filter and put it back in, as it's impossible for me to get to a dealer during the week. Had I would have known about this filter, I would have made it a priority to get one this morning while I was able to get to the dealer. DAMN IT!!!

And I also noticed that the remote start will not work while it's throwing the 0521 and/or 0523 codes. I just changed the oil this morning, so I'll try and see if I can get something in there to try and pull out any gunk build-up around the filter area.

Thanks guys for this info and thread!!!
Josh in NJ
'07 Impala SS - "Papa SSmirf"

Current mods: black Spec-D headlights|black Spyder LED tail lights|old-school "SS" on front bowtie|WeatherTech floor liners|SLP Hoop Scoop|K&N CAI|20% tint|DiabLew tuned|GM splash guards|Addco 639 rear swaybar|DR F&R STB's|Moog F&R end links|AVS deflector|chrome SS emblem overlays|billet trunk bowtie

Coming (not) soon (enough):
Exhaust system - TBA|Auxillary trans cooler|18" LTZ wheels

Offline 91parkave

• Administrator
  • Apprentice
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2014, 09:43 PM »
oil hits the pressure sensor first then goes to the rest of the DOD/AFM system. Sometimes sensors just go bad.

heres a video of the the VLOM to see everything

http://youtu.be/rCNhMnU1oy8
06 GXP | 4' fwi/LS7 MAF|LS2 IM/ LS2 TB | DT headers 3' Exhaust no cat |Shift kit| LC-1 WB |Bilstein Coilovers | ZZP LCA | GMPP SWB | CustomFull Poly lower engine/trans mounts| MSD wires | E-85 | Billet dogbone| HP Tuned by me | Battery Relocate | HID | Custom grilles| List goes on..

Offline Monster762

• Monster762
  • Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2016, 02:45 PM »
Ok replaced sensor cleaned the filter below it. Was not really dirty at all little specs at most. Getting stupid oil presure low stop engine.goes away moments after it triggers.  Very slight lifter tick only on cold start ups after car warms fully once no tick for rest of the day. Idk any ideas other than tearing apart engine to find its all good n some stupid computer acting up. A lot of work. 
06 impala ss  factory bose rear deck jbl doors with sundown audio sub,3cubic ft band pass alpine amp, 20% tint , a lot of suspension redone with Moog,kyb struts ,drilled slotted rotors,carbon pads,black headlights,rebuilt trans, backyard intake w/K&N filter,3 in exhaust all the way back. Dod delete(software not hardware). P zero tires factory rims