Author Topic: Hayden Trans Coolers  (Read 1347 times)

Offline KnightRider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Helper
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • You Testin' My Gangsta
Hayden Trans Coolers
« on: Jun 10, 2012, 05:09 PM »
Has anyone heard if Hayden tranny coolers are any good. I'm wondering because I bought one and the temp rises slowly but I think its not working all that well. Someone have any info would be most appreciated.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Offline SidewaysLS4

• Journeyman
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 20
Hayden Trans Coolers
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2012, 05:38 PM »
What is the temp rising to?  Keep in mind we're coming out of the winter months so temps are going to be a bit higher.

Sent from my Pager using Morse code...

Offline The_Madcat

• Junior Tech
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Hayden Trans Coolers
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2012, 07:36 PM »
What are the specs on your cooler? Also, how do you have it connected, meaning are you using it inline with the radiator or bypassing it?
2006 GP GXP - TripleEdge Performance rebuilt street/strip trans w/3.29 gear upgrade. Shift kit, DiabLew Tuned. TruCool 4490 20,000 BTU Trans Cooler. ZZP Catted downpipe. Magnaflow cat-back.
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT -Turbo M6

Offline andrew91pgt

• Helper
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2012, 04:43 AM »
Jegs sells the Hayden ones as "there own" brand.  I have one on my GXP inline with the rad cooler and it rarely goes over 190 even when its really hot here.  The only exception would be a traffic jam where I have seen 200 still, but it was very hot that day.  Would have been 230 with the stock setup.

I also have a Hayden on my F-250, but I don't have a temp monitor so I couldn't tell you what it runs....

Offline KnightRider

• Helper
  • Thank You
  • You Testin' My Gangsta
Hayden Trans Coolers
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2012, 09:58 AM »
I have it inline both I figured that way it would add additional cooling but I think its not.

Offline KnightRider

• Helper
  • Thank You
  • You Testin' My Gangsta

Offline KnightRider

• Helper
  • Thank You
  • You Testin' My Gangsta
Hayden Trans Coolers
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2012, 10:03 AM »
My GXP would top out at 204 degrees if I'm not running the car hard. My cooler is pretty big, so I don't if its too much for the tranny.

ryans06gxp

« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2012, 02:25 PM »
I've got Haydens biggest on mine with the new trans and I havent seen above 174. and its been in the 90s here.

Offline The_Madcat

• Junior Tech
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2012, 03:08 PM »
I have it inline both I figured that way it would add additional cooling but I think its not.

It actually will work better if you eliminate the radiator from the path. Reason being is that the radiator is being heated up by engine coolant, so the trans fluid will also heat up to that level.  So if you put the cooler after the radiator, in line, it heats up and then cools a bit before hitting the trans. I think you would get better results with a larger, stand alone cooler.
2006 GP GXP - TripleEdge Performance rebuilt street/strip trans w/3.29 gear upgrade. Shift kit, DiabLew Tuned. TruCool 4490 20,000 BTU Trans Cooler. ZZP Catted downpipe. Magnaflow cat-back.
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT -Turbo M6

Offline SidewaysLS4

• Journeyman
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 20
Hayden Trans Coolers
« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2012, 05:27 PM »
His cooler should be fine for a stand alone setup.  It's rated at 26,000gvw.

Sent from my Pager using Morse code...

Offline KnightRider

• Helper
  • Thank You
  • You Testin' My Gangsta
Hayden Trans Coolers
« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2012, 06:45 PM »
Ok! I will do that this weekend, now for pluging the radiator, what kind of plug should I get or can I go to a hardware store and buy brass plugs that won't damage the radiator?

Offline LS4 Racing

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 68
  • -Receive: 41
  • Expertises:
  • Transmission
  • LSx mods
« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2012, 09:57 PM »
Ok! I will do that this weekend, now for pluging the radiator, what kind of plug should I get or can I go to a hardware store and buy brass plugs that won't damage the radiator?

It's not necessary to plug the radiator.  Nothing is running through the trans cooling circuit once you've bypassed it, so there's no worries on leakage.
If someone has been helpful in a post, be sure to check and click "Thank You" on that post!
2006 Impala SS; 275 FWHP; DiabLew Tune|Big Ass Tranny Cooler|TEP valvebody|low-stall converter|TransGo Shift Kit|CAI|catless dp|3" catback w/Spintech mufflers|CSP Catch-Can|Morimoto HID projectors|Custom Brake Cooling Ducts|Rigid 30" LED Light bar|Optima Red Top|NGK TR6ix Plugs
2002 Camaro Z28 NBM; M6; 486 RWHP/417 RWTQ|LQ4 block|LS3 heads/intake|Comp LSr 273 Camshaft|Hooker LT Headers|true-dual exhaust|LS7 clutch|HIDs & LEDs

Offline Sadden

• LS4 Lighting Guru
  • Junior Tech
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #12 on: Jun 17, 2012, 10:56 PM »
If it gets cold where you live i always reccomend leaving the rad portion in the circuit , the heat from your engine will help bring the trans up to temp when its -40 out.
With no aux cooler when it was -45 here the car ran for 45 minutes and was only up to plus 25....

Diablosprt Trinity , No DOD , Transgo SK , LED's , Optima RedTop , K&N Intake W/ Volant Filter , NGK TR6IX , MSD 8.5mm Wires , Raybestos Pads , Sound by MTX Audio , Custom Projector Retro , 3k fogs , 20" Rigid industries LED Driving light

Offline LS4 Racing

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 68
  • -Receive: 41
  • Expertises:
  • Transmission
  • LSx mods
« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2012, 01:47 PM »
If it gets cold where you live i always reccomend leaving the rad portion in the circuit , the heat from your engine will help bring the trans up to temp when its -40 out.
With no aux cooler when it was -45 here the car ran for 45 minutes and was only up to plus 25....
If it's a stacked-plate cooler, then this is not a concern, as it will bypass itself until the fluid gets warm enough.  Interesting thing, fluid dynamics!

If it's a tube-and-fin design, then you're absolutely right.  If you routinely see sub-freezing temperatures for long periods and you drive short distances so that the trans can't warm up, you should probably leave the radiator cooler intact.
If someone has been helpful in a post, be sure to check and click "Thank You" on that post!
2006 Impala SS; 275 FWHP; DiabLew Tune|Big Ass Tranny Cooler|TEP valvebody|low-stall converter|TransGo Shift Kit|CAI|catless dp|3" catback w/Spintech mufflers|CSP Catch-Can|Morimoto HID projectors|Custom Brake Cooling Ducts|Rigid 30" LED Light bar|Optima Red Top|NGK TR6ix Plugs
2002 Camaro Z28 NBM; M6; 486 RWHP/417 RWTQ|LQ4 block|LS3 heads/intake|Comp LSr 273 Camshaft|Hooker LT Headers|true-dual exhaust|LS7 clutch|HIDs & LEDs

Offline Sadden

• LS4 Lighting Guru
  • Junior Tech
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2012, 11:19 PM »
I actually vaguely remember hearing that before , never looked more into it though.

Diablosprt Trinity , No DOD , Transgo SK , LED's , Optima RedTop , K&N Intake W/ Volant Filter , NGK TR6IX , MSD 8.5mm Wires , Raybestos Pads , Sound by MTX Audio , Custom Projector Retro , 3k fogs , 20" Rigid industries LED Driving light